Data Point Modeler: Excel XBRL Generator (Excel add in)
This EXGEN development has been frozen, being superseded by the DPM Architect tool, also authored/promoted by Victor Morilla. This page is therefore maintained for reference purposes only.
Developed in order to facilitate creation of taxonomies according to the draft Eurofiling architecture out of the Data Points Model (DPM) in MS Excel format
- automatic creation of primary items, dimensions, domains (structures of members) taxonomies consisting of schema files and linkbases (label and definition) out of the Excel DPM
- interface for definition and output of tables linkbase (according to Eurofiling draft rendering schema and algorithms)
Overview of functionalities
- hardcoded taxonomy architecture (common and European specific definitions, separate taxonomies for base, domain and dimension items) and possibility to customize basic generation data (file names, namespaces, data types)
- reads information from worksheets in the correctly formatted DPM Excel workbook: definitions of items (worksheets discovered by hyperlinks or set manually) and relations (basing on worksheet name including “_D” at the end) and allows for editing in tool specific interface
- generates taxonomies (common and domain specific) for:
- primary items: items definitions (schema), labels (linkbase)
- dimensions: explicit and typed (schema, typed domain is referenced), labels (linkbase)
- domains: members (schema) and their standard labels (linkbase), subdomains for dimensions, structures and specific labels (linkbases with custom ELRs)
- table linkbase (and associated files) design interface and output
- uses information extracted from the DPM Excel worksheet in the step described above
- outputs table linkbase files (schema, rendering and generic label linkbases, including folders structure)
- save of extracted and rendering information (zipped xml file in custom format with .exc extension); load possible at any time in future (prompts for files: DPM Excel and Excels used for rendering)
Defining rendering information (Overview)
- Input: information extracted from DPM Excel and stored in XBRL Taxonomy Generation AddIn, business templates (BT) in Excel format
- Functionality: Splitting of BTs in statements and tables (i.e. components of statements). Reflecting columns/rows of BTs as tree structure (x and y axis) of rendering linkbase (automatic or manual). Addition of hidden/dropdown (template application) information (z axis). Assigning of items (base items, members for dimension) as axis coordinates
- Output: schema files (roleType definitions). Rendering linkbase files. Generic label linkbase files (for row/columns coordinates
Requires .NET (v 3.5) and Excel libraries (2007 or higher) in use. No formal requirements set upfront (functionalities created and added on-the-fly). No XBRL validation (some rules included for errors discovered during testing). Llimited customization possible with many rules hardcoded.
Authors / contributors (in alphabetical order):
Víctor Morilla, BdE (Project Manager). Augusto Ruiz, IECISA. Bartosz Ochocki, BR-AG. Derek De Brandt, AGUILONIUS. Ignacio Boixo, BdE. Renata Fiedura, BSB. Wouter Van Sever, AGUILONIUS
Open Source development, under EUPL license. Many thanks to all the contributors!